Friday, February 15, 2008

Released from Captivity!

As reported on this blog on December 11th, since November 29 my favorite boots have been held hostage at 287 Broadway, an 1872 cast-iron building, the structural integrity of which was jeopardized by construction on the adjacent lot.

This morning, the owner of the shoe repair shop (who I've now learned is named Luis Guaman) called to arrange a drop-off and, moments ago, the hand-off took place.

While I'm thrilled to have my boots back, and started this post as a sort of a light-hearted spoof, I have since done a little web research and am sad to report that no one yet knows what the fate of the building or Mr. Guaman's shoe repair business will be.

(I had sort of assumed that Mr. Guamon was operating his business out of an alternate location somewhere. I've since asked myself why I would assume a shoe repairman would HAVE an alternate location to operate out of and realized it's because several years ago our dry cleaners in the East Village suddenly closed but contacted us to let us know we could get our clothes at their uptown location. This must have planted a seed in my mind that all these little, family-owned businesses have multiple locations. Weird. I know.)

Here's a view of the building where you can see the wooden struts currently holding it up:

No comments: