Tuesday, December 11, 2007

"Nothing New" - Taking the $$ out of Chri$tma$

The whole shopping frenzy that is the Christmas season is something I've been trying to come to terms with for years. Here's an idea from a work colleague:

"Our family started a Christmas tradition called 'nothing new under
the tree' - each year we give gifts that are not commercial in nature,
something handmade, a gift certificate for a lesson or some time
together, We have been doing this for 14 years now and it has taken the
consumerism out of Christmas."

Whaddaya say family? Wanna try it next year?

6 comments:

Andrew said...

A couple times my kids' cousins have given hand-me-down toys. This worked especially well for the baby and toddler toys that kids outgrow long before the toy shows any signs of wear. That was kind of nice.

Unknown said...

I think it's a great idea. Instead of buying me new stuff, I'll take old stuff that's just laying around. 1945 La Tour,Margaux,Haut-Brion,it's old probably sucks,but that's the kind of guy I am. Someone has to drink it, so I'll volunteer.

Anonymous said...

Let's do it. I'll be giving away old jewelry. I have this necklace that Lil' Keith would love.

kvgoz said...

Funny, that because Jesus was given gifts people think that they should be getting or receiving gifts. Of course our capitalistic machine has turned it into an unthinkable monster.

FYI: The more gifts you old people want to give me the better.

I have a good track record on Ebay with antiques.

Sharon GR said...

We've stopped giving gifts among the grown-up siblings in our families; that way we can focus on the kids.

We also stopped giving things to my in-laws a few years ago. We still give them a gift, but we give them an event instead: a Broadway show or a restaurant gift certificate. After 70ish years of living, they just don't need more stuff.

Unknown said...

You could also give old newspapers, from the twentieth century. Just think how much joy you could bring to the yankee fans in your life.
They could read about world series wins and baseball dominance in a yesteryear time.
A time when the yankees actually mattered.