Thursday, November 29, 2007

A Query

How do you manage all your usernames and passwords?

I'll tell you how I manage mine. My (very old) cellphone has a feature whereby I can designate a contact as "secret." When I do this, I need to put in an access code to open that contact info. So, by remembering one access code, I can access all my usernames and passwords. It's a really good system. It works. It's portable. It's convenient.

So what's the problem, you ask? I'll tell you. My very old cell phone is dying and none of the new ones have this feature (as far as I've been able to tell).

I have to be honest. My current system works so well and seems like the obvious, convenient solution that I cannot fathom why there wasn't protesting in the streets when the secret feature was phased out.

Clearly, I'm missing something. Please clue me in.

5 comments:

Dave said...

I have a password protected word document that I keep on a flash drive.

kvgoz said...

I remember them all but they are a variation of a few different things in my life over the years.

Once Tasha and I got really serious a part of her name became a part of my password database.

Not to mention I worked for an ISP for over 7 years so username and password became insanity. With different emails, servers at home, servers at work, servers on location, domains names with different providers, and so on and so forth.

For bill paying I keep them in a notebook at home, but only I would know how to decipher them. Kind of like finding a Horcrux if you will permit me to say. The username and password are only written as hints. The only way someone else could get them is by torturing me (which I am for in certain situations). However if someone wants to pay one of my bills that bad the torture will not have to be too severe.

I remember very weird things like all the phone numbers I ever had, my driver's license number, and phone number of other people. Basically useless information so I am good at gathering passwords. However I sometimes can not figure one out and have to use the dreaded FORGOT PASSWORD link which sends an email to an email address I had 10 years ago.

Basically I like to keep it dangerous when remembering my passwords.

Sharon GR said...

I have a couple of basic usernames and passwords, so no matter what it's a combination of all of them.

At an old job, when I had to set a password up for the computer system, I was told I couldn't use the letter O in my password; only the number 0 could be used, for security purposes.

I just stared at the supervisor who told me this, who didn't see any flaw in this system. I don't think they understood the concept of security.

NG said...

I vote for pen and paper. Electronic devices tend to break down at the most inconvenient instance.

Rob S. said...

I forget mine. constantly.