Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Hooray for our CSA!

What's a CSA, you ask? Well, it stands for "community-supported agriculture" and it's a subscription to a local farm. You basically buy a share in the farm for the season and get a weekly delivery of whatever's ready for pickin'. If the farmer has a good year, you have a good year. If the farmer has a not-so-good year, you have a not-so-good year.

When we lived in the East Village only blocks away from the Union Square Greenmarket, joining a CSA seemed a little like overkill. But with the move to the Sixth Borough, it seemed like a good idea. We actually belonged to in our DC days and loved it--it really forces you to a) eat more veggies and b) be more adventurous since you don't choose what you get.

Yesterday was our first delivery and we got green garlic, green lettuce, red lettuce, collard greens and fresh mint. (The deliveries will get larger and more varied as we hit the peak of the season.) Now, I know lettuce doesn't sound all that exciting, but that's just because you haven't tasted this lettuce. So, THAT's what lettuce is supposed to taste like...Yum!

You can learn more about CSAs from Local Harvest.

4 comments:

NG said...

Salad recipe to be used with the best lettuce ever!

So I’ve made it the other day and used baby greens instead, and it was killer. I think I can actually credit myself with the recipe since I only used someone else’s idea partially for the dressing.

For dressing:
Heaping tablespoon of Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons or so of olive oil
Teaspoon of vinegar (I used red wine vinegar)
Combine with a whisk; add some garlic powder and a bit of ground pepper

To the dressing add big fat cheese shavings (so cheese foes not stick together you add it to the dressing). I used Fontana cheese, but I think aged Gouda would be better. Also add lettuce, tomatoes (I used halved grape) and toasted walnuts. You can also add some red onions, but they give me heartburn. Combine everything and enjoy. I’ll post the picture onto my blog after lunch.
N.

InGenius Festival - Voices from the Writers' Forum said...

Hey Tash! I didn't know you had a blog. Cool! (I've added it to my friends list...)

NG said...

damn straight i have a blog! who doesn't theese days! even keith started his online diary! btw, it's Fontina, not fontata cheese... stupid spellcheck!

KB said...

Yes, the great thing about summer is all the veggies in abundance! I am so glad that you can avail yourselves of this bounty. Then, of course, you are very good at being proactive with everything!

Good 'luck' with your second treatment. I hope that it goes as well as the first. I have heard, btw, the this is when the hair comes out. I am so glad that you are already bonding with your wig. Send us a picture!

I send you lots of love and healing energy.