Monday, June 25, 2007

Mini Book Reviews, aka, You Can Get Alot of Reading Done When You're Lying Around Recovering from Chemo...

3 treatments down, 5 to go...Still faring pretty well, although this one definitely knocked me on my butt from Saturday eve through Sunday eve.

Around Again by Suzanne Strempek Shea. A melancholy (I thought) tale of dashed hopes and lost innocence the circumstances of which are revisited by the heroine 20-odd years later. A good read, although I liked Shea's Becoming Finola better.

Confessions of a Shopaholic and Shopaholic Takes Manhattan by Sophie Kinsella. Hey. Sometimes you need to laugh. And, there actually was a bit in "Confessions" that got me thinking...<> She's working in this job that she doesn't love and is in no way an expert at but at the end of the book she realizes she IS an expert compared to the general population and leverages that to great financial reward. I'm thinking there's a lesson to be applied here...

Everything Changes by Jonathan Tropper. Ok, so I read this book because I had just read Tropper's other book, "The Book of Joe," which was really good, but the premise of which weirded me out. The premise of the Book of Joe is that the hero, years ago, wrote an unflattering book about his hometown that was a bestseller and a hit movie and, of course, led everyone in his hometown to hate him. Now, years later, circumstances force him to go home and face the music. Sound familiar? It should because it's the premise of "October Road," a series on ABC that's based on the experiences of guy (Scott Rosenberg) who wrote the book and movie "Beautiful Girls." Now, I haven't actually watched "October Road," so I imagine the specifics are different, but still, isn't that weird? And, to make it all even weirder, "The Book of Joe" is currently being developed into a movie.

Mohawk by Richard Russo. I actually think Richard Russo is our current great American novelist. No fancy literary devices, just good solid stories, characters, and plot.

Summer by Edith Wharton. This book was known by her family and friends as the "hot Ethan," but to my mind doesn't touch the perfect construction, economy and depth of that novel.

No comments: