Wednesday, August 22, 2007

For the Record: Treatment #7

Feel free to skip this one, I just figured I should jot this stuff down while it's fresh in my memory...

Friday
Drove into the city and parked at the CHEAP garage. (At the last treatment, the guy at the front desk FINALLY told us the garage on the next block did a special rate for the Center. We'd been parking at the closer garage which cost $31 each time.)

Arrived at SVCCC at 10:30am. Had bloodwork done. Took the blood from my hand rather than the usual crook of the arm. I think this is because they had trouble with my port during the last treatment and so wanted to "save" the vein in case they needed it.

As usual, had to wait to see the onc. Finally saw her around 11:45am (apptmt was for 11am). She told me I didn't have to do the Neulasta if I didn't want to, altho it could risk getting my next (and final) treatment on time if my counts were too low. An alternative would be to wait a week, come in to get my counts checked and if they were low, do one (or more) shots of Neupogen instead.

She also told me that she and her nurse will be out on August 31st, but they could write the orders in advance so I could still do my treatment. If I prefer to have at least her nurse there, I can move the treatment to Thurs (particularly if I do the Neulasta).

She agreed to give me some more Vicodin (I had been using the "leftovers" from my surgery, but since I only had a few left, was using them VERY sparingly, like 1 per treatment.)

Finally started treatment around 12:30ish. As usual, started with a Pepcid first (orally) and then the benadryl and decadron (by IV). The chemo nurse, Meghan, had a little trouble with the port, but not as much as the chemo nurse had last time. This thing just needs to work one more time...

No nausea with the Taxol, so actually ate lunch: turkey sandwich and a nectarine.

The benadryl makes me sleepy, so slept for a good chunk of the treatment. The treatment chair comes equipped with a personal TV w/movie channels so dozed through/watched "It Could Happen to You," "Men in Black II" and "Miss Congeniality 2." The hubby took a walk to Barnes & Noble and got me a copy of "Stranger Than Fiction." Left around 5pm.

In the car, got my usual bag of goodies from mom. Each treatment, she gives me a plush dog, so we now have a collection at the foot of our bed. She also gave me a biography of Edith Wharton, a beaded ring and carved wooden box.

We ordered in Italian for dinner. The benadryl had worn off, so I actually was awake for the evening and went to bed at a normal hour.

Saturday
Basically felt good all day.

The hubby went to help my cousin & wife paint their new apartment. Mom and I slept late. Her hubby came and took us to lunch down by the river (it was a beautiful day). Then Mom and her hubby went home and I watched more movies ("Men in Black" and "Being John Malkovich"). When my hubby got home, we ordered in Chinese and had a mini-"Northern Exposure" marathon. Also did the Neulasta shot. Decided not to take any chances on having to postpone my final treatment.

Sunday
Went to my mom's. My brother came too and the 3 of us played Scrabble all afternoon.

The "tenderness" started to set in. After every treatment, I get this thing (I may have described it before) where all my soft tissue feels really tender to the touch. So, basically, if I don't move, I'm fine. But if I move or someone touches me, it hurts.

I took a Vicodin when I got home and another late that night.

Monday
Took a sick day. Read/dozed all morning. Finally got up around 1:30pm. The tenderness dissipated during the day.

Went out to dinner at the restaurant on the corner w/the hubby and his friend from work. During dinner, the bone pain started to set in (ah, joy). Took a Vicodin.

Tuesday
Felt basically normal.

Worked from home. I was originally planning to go into work in the afternoon, but the weather was really crappy so decided it was better to just work from home the whole day. Got caught up on e-mail, participated on a conference call, did some work-related reading.

At bedtime, the bone pain was back (it hadn't really bothered me all day) so took a Vicodin in to get to sleep.

Wednesday
Back to normal and back at work.

Only one more to go and the next one should be "easier" because NO NEULASTA!

No comments: