Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Insurance Care Package

When I first was diagnosed, I got a care package from our insurance company.

I'm not kidding.

Among other things, it included a hardcover, spiral-bound cookbook, "Eating Well Through Cancer" with chapter headings like "Day of Chemotherapy," "Neutropenia," "Diarrhea," "Constipation," "Sore Mouth or Throat." Very appetizing.

It also included "My Healing Companion," a sort-of workbook/journal/self-help book for cancer patients complete with introduction by Linda Ellerbee (a breast cancer survivor). I read a couple of reviews on Amazon by people who thought it was a great book, but for me, anything with activity instructions that begin "Grab a pen, pencil or crayon..." (emphasis added) creates this sort of visceral negative reaction in me. Really? This will all be OK if I just pick up a crayon and list my best qualities? (The title page also puts me off. It reads: "My Healing Companion was completed by [space for name] with help from my friend, Beverly Katherine Kirkhart.")

I must admit that when I first got the package, I was impressed because, I don't know, I guess because the insurance company actually seemed to care about what was happening. And I'm sure the people who wrote these books did it with the best of intentions and goodness of heart and so I don't like to denigrate their efforts. But I also know that any cookbook with a section titled "Diarrhea" is not something I'm going to ever use a recipe from. And I already talked about the whole crayon thing. So, into the used book donation bag they go. Hopefully they will be found by someone more appreciative.

3 comments:

NG said...

Okay, it’s sort of nice of the insurance company to do the whole care package thing (and probably cheaper than dealing with mental health later), but maybe they need to be more selective with their materials. Most women who get cancer are not teenagers and the recollection of rosy wallpaper with flower border in their old bedroom along with a lineup of teddy bears on the dresser had faded from their memory. But yet again, maybe I’m just used to cynical and smart women in the metro area, who don’t do pink ribbons, scrapbooks, who think there is such thing as an ugly baby, prefer black and have no problem going to the movies alone. And they do not use crayons.

Sharon GR said...

"But I also know that any cookbook with a section titled "Diarrhea" is not something I'm going to ever use a recipe from."

Laughed out loud, I did.

Anonymous said...

I may be cynical (but not as much as Natasha) but the insurance company has a vested interest in their customers getting healthy.

To the insurance companies we are an expense.

To the doctors we are revenue.