Saturday, August 11, 2007

Loss by Attrition

I just did a bit of spring cleaning (I know, I'm late) and decided to donate a small brass mirror to the local thrift shop. Not a big deal, I know. Except that it was Jeanne's. Jeanne, for those who don't know, was my mom's sister and best friend and my godmother, aunt, mentor and very close friend (and a sister and aunt and friend to many of the folks who read this blog) who died of breast cancer in 1990. (I promise this is not an entry about breast cancer.)

When Jeanne first died and we went through her belongings, I took quite a bit of her stuff: clothes I thought I might wear, a couple of favorite pieces of jewelry, some decorative items, some kitchen stuff--I was in college at the time and moving into an apartment and so any kind of kitchen stuff was welcome--and even some makeup.

But that was in 1990. And I've moved...let me count...9 times since then. (No, I'm not kidding. I just counted.) And with each move--moves being the times when you really look at your belongings and ask the question, "Do I need this?" (or, more specifically, "Would I rather pack this or toss this?")--I've let a couple of things go. In the early years, it was some of the clothes that I quickly realized I would never wear and some of the kitchen stuff--whenever I move I always get the urge to upgrade my kitchen stuff. (Oddly, I held onto the makeup--though I never used it--longer than was reasonable or even sanitary.)

In more recent years, there have been some other things of no inherent sentimental value, but which had become sentimental because I'd held onto them for so long. Like a cheap makeup mirror in a plastic frame (one of those mirrors that shows your normal reflection on one side and a magnified reflection--which I NEVER use, regular is scary enough, thank you--on the other). At first the plastic frame was chipped. Then it was cracked. And then more cracked. And I never used it anyway. In our last apartment, it sat up on top of the wall cabinet and collected dust. When we moved last year, I finally took a good, long, hard look at it and realized it was a purchase Jeanne had probably made with little thought or care. If she had been alive, she likely would have tossed it or replaced it several times over the SIXTEEN YEARS I had hung onto it as if it were a precious (ok, neglected) family heirloom. And so I tossed it. But--irrational though this is--it made me a little bit sad. Because it's one less thing in my life that was hers.

And so each time I assess a bit of the flotsam or jetsam from her life that's been woven into mine, I find myself asking the ridiculously hard question: do I keep it because it was hers, or do I acknowledge that even she wouldn't have kept it this long? Does it really honor her memory to save a drugstore mirror? Or even a brass one?

The rational part of my brain says no. Moreover, it says they're not even "hers" anymore. In most cases, I've now owned them far longer than she did. But another part of me feels it as a loss. A diminution of the things circulating in the world of the people who loved her who value them for that reason: because they were hers. And so, in a way, less of her circulating in our world.

Loss by attrition.


Postscript:
As I've been writing this, I've been trying to remember what other items of hers I still have. It's harder than you'd think because, as evidenced above, some of the things are really mundane items that have been woven into my life. So, without further ado, here's my running list. I still have:
- her brown leather jacket that I still wear although it's starting to fall apart
- her explosion ring (my first Joan Michlin piece)
- a brass box filled with her business cards advertising her services as a Certified Hypnotherapist and MariEl healer
- a framed print that I adore, but that needs to be re-framed because the glass was broken in the last move
- a black shawl that I keep at work
- a bamboo footstool
- a rattan storage cube
- a wooden jewelry box inlaid w/brass
- a small, velvet-lined wood box
- a mounted photo she took of fishing boats in Provincetown
- a couple of her drawings
- some of her books
- a garlic press

5 comments:

Dave said...

I loved this post.

It's very beautifully written and moving and made me think of Jeanne (of course).

I think you could turn this into a whole short story if you wanted to--weaving in the memories that each item triggers.

It would be really amazing.

LizR said...

Wonderful post. It made me think of Jeanne too. She was just fabulous. I even remember where I was when I found out she passed away (at Keith house in his kitchen!!...maybe after checking my answering machine)...that memory has always stayed with me...she had that effect on people! I am going thru the beginning stages of this with my grandma...after having brought three suitcases of things home with me and after shipping boxes and furniture back to AZ. I'm sleeping with her handmade afghan every night (yes, even in this heat) and wearing her jewelry. It was interesting to hear how things have played out for you over the years and makes me think of what I will be saying 16 years from now. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Amazing, how eloquent you are. I love the post, and I think zagg is right - it's a story to be told.

NG said...

Jennifer, thank you for your wonderful thoughts!

It is amazing how we get so attached to things and give them meaning outside their utilitarian purpose. Those wonderful things become souvenirs of our lives, packed with memories. The little nick-knacks help us kindle precious recollections of the past, and we are scared that if we loose those objects, the memories will be gone too.

I myself have been slowly packing for the past couple of weeks and reassessing all our belongings. We don’t have much from lives before there was “WE”. I have moved from Russia and with a few exceptions only brought necessities, and Keith lost his share of life’s souvenirs to house fires, divorces and such. But meanwhile in the past five (almost six actually) years that we have been together we managed to collect all sorts of stuff. And I can’t let it go, because it would equal to tossing a memory.

By the way, speaking about mirrors – it’s most peculiar – I have a mirror too. It’s my mom’s. Well, I suppose it’s mine now. The plastic frame has been broken for the past four years, while for the past two years it was “fixed” with some postal priority mail tape. I even bough a new replacement mirror. But I seem to fail getting rid of that old one. I suppose it’s just one of those peculiar things about mirrors.

Andrew said...

An old co-worker that moved frequently explained his system to me. When he packed, he wrote the date of the move on each box. If a box was not unpacked from the previous move, he just scratched out the old date and wrote in the new one. However, if the box already had two dates on it, he threw it out. He didn't even open the box.

I could never do that. I'm a hopeless packrat, and what's worse, so is Sharon. Luckily we have a basement.