Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Dial a Fish!

Or, more specifically, Text a Fish!

As you may or may not know, some fish and shellfish are more sustainably harvested than others. And, because of all the pollution in the environment, some fish are less healthy for us to eat than others.

But how to keep track?

For years, I've carried around one of these little cards (like this or this) in my wallet. But I never actually developed the habit of pulling it out at restaurants.

Now, you can text 30644 with the message "FISH [name of fish]" and in return you'll get Blue Ocean's sustainability info in return.

For more info, check out Blue Ocean's Fishphone page.

[Note: I got this from "Ideal Bite," which I've now added to my blog via a widget--look to the right side of the page.]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for linking to our seafood selector! In light of the recent New York Times article on mercury in sushi, I wanted to let you know that we have updated it and it’s a lot easier to use. We’ve also added more fish.

http://EnvironmentalDefense.org/seafood

Also, here is a link to the pocket seafood selector that people can download and then take with them.

http://EnvironmentalDefense.org/documents/1980_pocket_seafood_selector.pdf