Thursday, June 5, 2008

Oh, What a Night!

(I meant to post this yesterday, but for reasons that will reveal themselves later, never got to it.)

Wow.

Obama did it! I am incredibly psyched that he pulled it off.

And while he was doing that, I was at the True Colors Concert at Radio City Music Hall.

To be honest, I got the tickets based mostly on the fact that the Indigo Girls were going to be there and this is their only tour date in the NYC-area. That they weren't headlining was slightly offset by the fact that Cyndi Lauper and the B-52s were. So I recruited a couple of people to go with me and didn't think much more about it. I didn't go to the tour website or learn anything else about it until we were there.

It was quite a night.

First of all, being the cheap person that I am, I had gotten upper-upper-upper mezzanine tickets. But, as we were trekking up to our seats in the boonies, an usher stopped us and asked if wanted to sit in the orchestra. ("Um, no. We want to keep our crappy seats please.") So we turned around and went back downstairs to approximately 20th row orchestra. Cool.

Then there was the lineup:
The whole thing was emceed by Carson Kressley, of "Queer Eye" fame. He was entertaining, but I certainly wouldn't go to or see anything just because he was there.

The Cliks - clearly an opening band, they weren't my favorite, but the lead singer (Lucas Silveira) definitely has that "thing"--magnetism, confidence, a killer voice--that should mean we'll all be hearing more from him in the future.

The Indigo Girls - they only did about 5 songs (Galileo, Pendulum Swinger,* one I can't remember the name of, Kid Fears, and Closer to Fine) but they were fabulous as always. Made me long for the days when I would go to their concerts at Wolftrap. Next time they're there, I think a road trip is definitely in order.
[*"Pendulum Swing" is their song inspired by the Bush administration which--in a nod to the Dixie Chicks flap--they were very clear to say in their intro, "Hey. It's only a pop song."]


Kate Clinton - a lesbian feminist standup comic. I'd heard her name before but never seen her stuff. She was great. Very "New York-intellectual."

Regina Spektor - I had never heard her before and she was freakin' amazing. For her first song, she came out on stage alone, picked up a mike and started singing. She tapped the microphone to create a beat line, but was otherwise unaccompanied. After the first song, she moved over the piano and you could tell she had been classically trained. Both vocally and musically, she was incredibly versatile and creative. At one point, she was playing the piano with one hand, playing a chair as a drum with the other AND singing. Talk about multi-tasking. We were beyond being surprised when she got up and played guitar for another number ("Of COURSE she also plays guitar.")

Rosie O'Donnell - Needs no introduction, of course. Unfortunately, she was not in top form. I think the whole "View" fracas (which I didn't follow) really got to her.

The B-52s - What can I say? One of the high points of my concert-going experiences is now dancing to "Love Shack" being sung live by the B-52s and bang-bang-banging on the door in sync with the band. Just fun.

Margaret Cho - Mostly made me realize that it's ironic that lesbians and gays get lumped together all the time because they really don't have much in common.

And, of course:

Cyndi Lauper - Cyndi was fabulous. She was probably the best performer of the evening. Lots of energy, lots of joy, a great voice. I loved her as a teenager, but have to admit that I haven't listened to her stuff in years (partly because I had her on vinyl and so she never made the transition to my iPod), but I foresee some digital downloads in my future.

And then there was the cause. The True Colors tour was created by Cyndi Lauper (per the tour website) "to raise awareness about the discrimination the GLBT community still faces and raise significant funds for the organizations that work everyday on their behalf." Throughout the evening, there was a message of tolerance as well as a push to get out the vote.

As I said to my friends as we were leaving, "What a night. Great entertainment AND a socially responsible cause."

One final note: In my I-didn't-research-this-thing-beforehand state of mind, I assumed the concert would be 2 or maybe 3 hours long. It ran FIVE HOURS. Amazing.

4 comments:

Dave said...

Regina Spektor was one of the artists I was telling you and Jesse about during our car trek back from Cape Cod. She's extremely talented.

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like a blast except for rosie. I'd maybe pay to see her big fat mouth stuffed with 50lbs of Bull Shit,as a direct delivery! She's is such a waste of space(but the worst is....SHE'S NOT FUNNY!!!)
I saw the B'52,s last summer at the Biltmore house and they were great!
California was great,drank a ton of supper stuff(Carmen has got a BIG cellar)Jen,you would have been in vinotopia.
Hope you are all well.
Jesse....I look expectedly each day for my music. Alas but the music has died.

Anonymous said...

Hola Jen and Jesse,
I have a couple of blogs bookmarked (yours being one of them) and this is the second "Yay Obama!" mention in my night of reading. I'm with you all the way. One of the few words that 5 year old Maya knows how to read is Obama. I'm so proud of her. And when we were in VA, 2 year old Jonah would say "They said Obama!" every time he was mentioned on NPR, which was quite frequent.
Hope to see you guys here in Ecuador before the end of August!
love,
Rebecca

Nif said...

wow, what an Incredible line-up... (just the concept of Cyndi and Margaret on the same stage is FAB, all else is icing) and sounds like it was a great show/evening. You totally lucked-out! Whee! I'll keep my eyes peeled for it to hit the west coast after we get out there next week.