Monday, September 15, 2008

Post-Treatment Stages of Emotional Health

This was posted by a someone on the YSC boards the other day and I thought it was worth sharing. I'm not sure if I've gone through these in this precise order, but most of them resonate.

Stage 1 after treatment: What do you mean there is nothing else I can do? Let me do more chemo. I'm never going to eat sugar again and I'll eat flax seeds everyday. I've got to raise $10,000 for the Lance Armstrong Foundation and ride my bike 200 miles in 4 days to help people with cancer.

Stage 2 after treatment: Shouldn't I feel happy? I'll cry at my post chemo party if I want to.

Stage 3 after treatment: I feel agitated and annoyed at everything and nothing. You mean that Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is not just for soldiers? Lack of sleep is not helping anything.

Stage 4 after treatment: I'm pulling out all my retirement money and doing whatever in the hell I want. I envy the mundane problems of everyday life but have very little patience when it comes to listening about them. No tolerance for bullshit and shitty family and friends.

Stage 5 after treatment: I have all the symptoms on the internet. I just know my cancer is back. If the cancer is not back, why do I feel this way? Am I a hypochondriac?

Stage 6 after treatment: Is there pink everywhere? I hate pink. Cancer follows me everywhere. I wish people would quit asking if my hair is naturally curly ..... no it's unnaturally (there is nothing natural about chemo) curly and it currently looks like a sheep's ass.

Stage 7 after treatment: I just need to get away from all this cancer stuff. Did all that stuff really happen to me? Maybe if I stay off the boards and stay busy I'll "get over it" faster. See ya everyone .... I'll be at Target.

Stage 8: The person looking back in the mirror looks and feels very different. I don't think things will ever be the same. The "old me" is never coming back (sniffle). How come everyone else doesn't realize it and why do they keep saying that I am back to normal?

1 comment:

AvivaMicah said...

I loved this. Sent it to my cousin JoAnn who has just completed her treatments for ovarian cancer. Thanks for posting.