Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Why "Jayananda"?

One of my main sources of support through all this has been the online discussion boards of the Young Survival Coalition. (One of the few perks of all this is that in this particular arena I'm considered "young"...) Anyway, in signing up for the boards, I needed to choose a screen name and so decided to be slightly more creative than my usual abbreviation of my name. So, being a yoga fan, I decided a Sanskrit name would be both pretty-sounding and meaningful.

"Jaya" means Victory and "Ananda" means Joyful. So there you go. I plan to be joyfully victorious!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, now I get it! Not sure I'm pronouncing it correctly, but I LIKE it!

Anonymous said...

Okay, how come "Prelude to a Kiss" isn't on the fav movie list? I rented this and purposely watched it WHILE you were having the second surgery just so I could feel closer to you. I don't know, that list seems awfully and suspiciously short for such a movie buff. If I had my druthers...I'd say there were more, prehaps, "quilty-pleasure" movies that didn't make the cut!

David Asbury said...

Whew! When I first saw your blog name I googled Jayananda (knowing Ananda was a disciple of the Buddha) and found this guy: http://www.geocities.com/visoka123/visoka/Jayananda/Jayananda_Website.htm
A white guru-type who looks like he lead some kind of cult. Having not seen you for quite awhile, I'm really glad to hear you haven't been brainwashed and sucked into a vortex of spiritual vacuousness!

Thanks for the updates... I'm sending lots of positive vibes.

DA

Anonymous said...

I like it. It rolls off the tongue quite beautifully. AND I am indeed glad to know that it is not necessarily synonymous with "A white guru-type who looks like he lead some kind of cult."

:-)

NancyS from YSC