Thursday, July 12, 2007

Gilda's Club Weirdness...

I just called Gilda's Club because I was interested in attending a workshop they're holding this Saturday and was told I can't just come to a workshop, I have to become a member first, which is a multi-step process, part of which is they figure out if Gilda's Club is a good "fit" for me.

A good fit? WTF?????

I was a little put off by this (to say the least) and so am wondering if others out there have had good or bad experiences...

Please share.

(P.S. I should also add that a few months ago my aunt tried to volunteer for them and found them equally off-putting. She now volunteers with the National Aphasia Association instead!)

4 comments:

Andrew said...

Hi Jen. Just noticed the link to your blog from Rob's. (You'd think I'd have seen the link on my wife's blog first.

I have no experience- to share, but for me the multi-step membership process would itself be evidence they're not a good fit....

P.S. I saw deleted comments a few posts back - thought you might be getting blog-spam. Seen the word verification feature in blogger? It's in the Settings->Comments section. It stopped the bogus comments I was receiving.

Anonymous said...

My experience with Gilda's was to say the least very dissatisfying as a volunteer. To hear that you CANNOT attend a meeting, without becoming a member through a multi step process, WTF???? I found them to be all about the publicity. I never actually saw any members there. Now that I think about it - very weird!!! Thanks for the mention of the Adler Aphasia Center. I love it there, and feel like I am actually helping people. It's a wonderful experience!!
Luv ya
Cupcake

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen,
All I can say is that the demon with whom I worked 2 jobs ago is now exec director of our local chapter. wouldn't trust that judgement in terms of organizational management - not at all.
Miss you and sending lots of love your way.
Roomie

InGenius Festival - Voices from the Writers' Forum said...

Andrew, Thanks for the advice. I changed that setting...