Tuesday, July 10, 2007

It's Official...

Chemo sucks.

I realize this isn't earth-shattering news, but the first couple of treatments went so well I was sort of hoping to sail through this whole thing. Anyway, the last 2 have been much harder--more nausea, more tiredness, more achiness, and--as my oncologist called it--"deranged taste buds," which means that I get this weird taste in my mouth that lasts about a week and makes some foods taste sort of funny.

The good news is, I'm done with this particular drug combo and the next drug, Taxol, is supposed to be easier to tolerate (and isn't supposed to cause nausea). The bad news is I know have all these psychological nausea triggers--like the smell of rubbing alcohol--so I may get nauseous anyway. AND the administration of the Taxol takes FOREVER. The actual drug itself takes 3 hours, but with the bloodwork and pre-meds, they told me to plan on being their for ~5 hours. Because it takes so long and because they have to monitor me for any allergic reaction the first time around, I can't do the treatment in the evening like I have been, so my next treatment will be Friday, July 20th during the day.

So I have between now and then to conquer this psychological-nausea-trigger-thing. All advice welcome.

No comments: