Thursday, July 19, 2007

My Morning Coffee

I'm not really a big coffee drinker, but in the summer I do enjoy iced coffee. So, on my way into work, I stop at one of those carts the are ubiquitous on NYC streets.

The cart I patronize is run by the most charming young guy (I'm guessing early 20s). English is his second language, but he speaks it very well and is always trying out new idioms, jokes, words, etc.

He's always in a good mood, always remembers my order, and always calls me "Miss" (which is way better than "Ma'am").

My order, as it happens, is an iced decaf, milk, no sugar, and "just a straw, no bag, please."

Because he's so nice, I often let him keep the 50 cents of change from my $2 as a tip.

The problem: the coffee sucks. It took me a few days to figure out why, but then one day I watched closely and realized what it was. He uses instant coffee. ("Serves you right for ordering decaf," I can hear some of you saying.)

So what it comes down to is I pay $2 for a little early morning civility. I think I can live with that.

3 comments:

Andrew said...

I'm with you. In a situation like this I would feel real guilt if I went elsewhere.

BTW (and this has nothing to do with this post, rather your blog's name), have you ever read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer? It includes a short story-within-the-story called "The Sixth Borough." The short story is also part of a great younger reader compilation I absolutely loved, and which has one of my favorite titles: Noisy Outlaws, Unfriendly Blobs, and Some Other Things That Aren't as Scary, Maybe, Depending on How You Feel About Lost Lands, Stray Cellphones, Creatures from the Sky, Parents Who Disappear in Peru, a Man Named Lars Farf, and One Other Story We Couldn't Quite Finish, So Maybe You Could Help Us Out.

Anonymous said...

If it makes you smile, it is worth every penny. It is better (in my opinion) than going to Star Bucks and paying $7 for coffee that no matter what you put on it, or in it, it still tastes like it was on the hot plate a few days too long.

InGenius Festival - Voices from the Writers' Forum said...

Andrew, Yes, I did read the Foer novel and story. It was actually originally (?) published as a standalone piece in the NY Times.

As much as I loved it, I still think Hoboken is the true Sixth Borough (and I have a baseball cap to prove it)!