Wednesday, July 11, 2007

More Mini-Book Reviews

What have I been reading lately, you ask?

Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner - I'd been curious about this one for awhile. I liked the beginning, liked the main character, was startled by how well the author nailed the whole body image thing, but thought she just sort of copped out with the (literally) "Hollywood ending."

Plan B by Jonathan Tropper - Same guy who wrote "Book of Joe" and "Everything Changes," both reviewed previously. Kind of like a male chick-lit author--light, quick reads with good dialogue, likable characters and some fairly incisive insights on the 30-something crowd. This book was sort of a Big Chill for my generation (I really hate that word: "generation").

Queen of the Oddballs by Hillary Carlip - a memoir by this woman who grew up in LA in the 70s and did some really outrageous things like stalking Carole King and winning the Gong Show. Entertaining in a surreal sort of way--what a life. California people are definitely different than the rest of us.

I think that covers it...I didn't have much time to read last week because I was finishing my short play which will be featured in week 1 (Sept 19-22) of ManhattanTheatreSource's Estrogenious Festival.

3 comments:

Sharon GR said...

I've been curious about the Jennifer Weiner books too. Maybe if I find myself in a reading lull I'll pick it up.

Am reading Stealing Buddha's Dinner at the moment, which is good. I wouldn't say it's any beyond "good," though.

The best thing I've read in six months is The Kite Runner.

Rob S. said...

Hey! Congrats on being selected for Estrogenius!

InGenius Festival - Voices from the Writers' Forum said...

Sharon, I LOVED Kite Runner, too. I read it right around the time I read Bel Canto, which I also loved...

Rob, Thanks! I'm way nervous (and excited).