Thursday, April 24, 2008

My Man Vin

Back when I was in college, I drove the NJ Turnpike fairly often, going back and forth from my parents' house in Northern NJ and my college campus in Delaware. And, this being the days before iPods, radio transmitters, XM, CD players, etc., I generally just listened to the plain old radio to keep myself awake for the usually late-night drive.

And so that's when I discovered Vin Scelsa. Vin has been on the air for over 35 years and is, in my opinion, the BEST DJ EVER.

First of all, he has the coolest voice.

Second, he plays cool stuff and interviews cool people.

(Wan't more details? Listen to him yourself.)

//TANGENT:
Those of you who know me know I can get pretty effusive about things I like and so during the time that I was listening to him regularly, I would often refer to "My man Vin." I used this phrase so often that when my mom told my brother, "Jen's man got fired"--referring to a sculpture she was working on and planned to give me--he said, "What? Vin Scelsa got fired?? What happened?"
END TANGENT//

My love for Vin notwithstanding, I haven't owned a car for years and just generally don't sit around listening to the radio, like, ever. So I haven't listened to him for a very long time.

However, at work I am currently doing a temporary assignment on a different floor. I normally sit in a cubicle between 2 colleagues who like to have conversations with each other without leaving their respective desks. And the rest of our branch is pretty boisterous as well. Basically, it's noisy. And I like it. In my current (temporary) digs, I'm on a VERY quiet floor and, on top of that, actually have an office. So things are way quiet. Which led me to start searching for some streaming audio to counter the silence.

And, happily, I have re-discovered Vin Scelsa.

I love the Internet.

1 comment:

Dan Herman said...

Hey, if you love Vin, as I do..check out my show..also freeform and true to the indies
www.radiocrystalblue.com