Monday, October 1, 2007

MRI = Naptime?

Friday was Test Day.

I had a mammogram, breast ultrasound and MRI. Actually, they did the MRI first. And I think I feel asleep about halfway through.

Now, those of you who've never had one probably think this is no big deal. But let me explain. First of all, MRIs are noisy. VERY noisy. So noisy they gave me earplugs to muffle (but not block out) the sound. Secondly, (at least for a breast MRI) halfway through I get injected--via an IV--with contrast dye. Thirdly, I have to lie face down on my stomach with my breasts sort of hanging down into these cutouts and my face in a face cradle. And, as with any MRI, I had to lay perfectly still for the whole thing. How I managed to doze off under these conditions, I have no idea. But I somehow pulled it off.

No comments: