Thursday, July 10, 2008

Big Read Update - Mystery Solved!

Courtesy of Laughing at the Pieces:

"UPDATE: Alan M. informs me that 44 and 51 have been left off the list since time immemorial, but he discovered them on the original list and I put them in their respective positions. He also found this link about the murky origins and intentions of the list. Thanks, Alan!"

I don't know who Alan is, but would like to add my thanks!

In case you're too lazy or just not interested enough to read the whole murky history, the answer to the burning question of where this list came from is: the Brits. At least some of them. There was a poll asking people for "the most precious book they have read." I can only assume the Brits interpret "precious" as "dear" rather then "cutesy." The list, published in the Guardian, is entitled, "Books you can't live without."

P.S. I have updated my original entry to add in the elusive #44 and #51.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A Prayer for Owen Meaney - John Irving is another book plus am finishing what might be one of the greatest books ever(She only wrote one and got the Pulitzer for it, so how do you beat that!)To Kill A Mocking Bird.
I loved the movie and have seen it several times but the book....WOW!